Show Notes on Episode 2
Fundamentals of Dog Training
Understanding Dog Training: http://www.happydogtraining.info/general-information/understanding-dog-training
Part two of Kyla's supplement review. All discussed supplements can be found here: http://www.happydogtraining.info/health/
Fun Breed Facts on German Shepherds (Kyla)
- Out of 100 popular dog breeds, studies have shown that German Shepherds are the 3rd most intelligent.
- They are hugely popular. In fact, the 2nd most popular in the USA behind only the labrador!
- A German Shepherd’s bite has 238 pounds of force — a human’s bite has just 86!
- They are incredibly smart and learn simple tasks after only five repetitions. They obey the first given command 95% of the time.
- When formal guide dog training began in Switzerland in the 1920s, all of the dogs trained were German Shepherds.
- The breed was standardised in Germany in the mid-1800s, where they were working as sheep-herders and protecting them from predators.
- The average life expectancy of a German Shepherd is 10.95 years.
- Some amazing German Shepherds have very unusual colouring. They are known as “Panda Shepherds!
- They are also commonly known as ‘Alsations’. This is because the ‘German’ element was dropped in Europe after World War 1 due to the poor perception of the country at the time.
- ‘Strongheart’ is one of only two German Shepherd dogs to grace the Hollywood Walk of Fame with a star. Strongheart was something of a celebrity, appearing in a variety of black-and-white films in the 1920’s.
- A German Shepherd named Capitan ran away from home after the death of his parent, Argentinian Miguel Guzman, in 2006. A week later, Mr Guzman’s family went to pay their respects and found the heartbroken pet sitting by his father’s grave, wailing. He has stayed there for 6 years.
- They have a double coat. The outer coat sheds all year around.
- This German Shepherd video reveals some more crazy facts about these amazing creatures! https://youtu.be/4uWVDE5CkLw
Submit questions or comments at: [email protected]