- Test 1: Dog Stands, Sits or Lies Down and Waits under Control of Owner - The dog waits while the owner sits and has a snack or visits with another person (e.g. at a park).
- Test 2: Walk on Loose Leash in Natural Situation - The dog walks on a loose leash, staying by the owners side for a left turn, right turn, stop and fast and slow pace.
- Test 3: Walk on Loose Leash through Crowd - The dog walks on a loose leash in the community, dog walks on sidewalk, through a crowd at a community fair, park, on a trail, through a busy hallway, etc.
- Test 4: Walk Past Distracting Dogs - The dog walks on a loose leash in the community, by other dogs on a trail, sidewalk, in a hallway, etc.
- Test 5: Sit and Stay in Small Group - Three other people with dogs stand in an informal circle/square while the owners have a conversation. The dogs are all by the owner's side, on leash, 3 ft. apart for at least 30 seconds.
- Test 6: Petting - The dog allows a person who is carrying something (i.e. backpack, computer bag, etc.) to approach and pet it. The person asks "May I pet your dog?", places the item on floor/ground and pets the dog.
- Test 7: Leave It - The dog walks by food and follows the owners instructions "Leave it."
- Test 8: Down or Sit Stay at Distance - The dog is on a 20-ft line, the owner walks away with back to dog, picks up an item (e.g., backpack, training bag, clipboard, folder etc.) placed on the floor/chair/ground and returns to the dog.
- Test 9: Recall Under Distraction - The handler goes out 20 ft. off center and calls the dog.
- Test 10: Wait - The dog will sit or stand stay (owner's choice) while owner enters/exits a doorway or narrow passageway. The owner calls dog through door when ready.
Is Your Dog Ready?
This program teaches you and your dog new skills and is only available to dogs without behavioral issues. If your dog has behavioral issues like fear or aggression, we can help you resolve those as well, but that will have to be done separately first. Resolving such issues has nothing to do with obedience training and requires behavioral conditioning.