- Understanding some of the key findings from the latest research on vaccinations, tick and flea control, parasite and worm prevention, spaying and neutering, allergy tests and treatments, choosing dog food, and anxiety medications helps you making informed ...
- Dogs are apex predators. That means, they sit on top of the food chain and don’t have natural enemies for whom they are a primary food source. Dogs are the hunters, not the hunted. As such, it is entirely normal for a dog to chase and kill smaller animals.
- You probably have seen lists of products, vegetables, fruits, nuts or medications that are toxic to dogs. It’s certainly good to know what is safe for your dog to eat but what is usually missing is the quantity at which consumption is truly dangerous.
- With the arrival of spring, we love to be outdoors and take our pets with us to explore and enjoy the beauties of nature. Trails and parks abound in Southern California and offer a wide array of different habitats, from low deserts to high Alpine forests.
- We are really unfair to our dogs in many ways. We often don’t respect them or treat them fairly. We don’t teach them well enough to understand a command but expect them to master it regardless. We even get mad at them when they don’t get it. How is that fair?
- My thoughts on spaying and neutering have changed over the years. I used to advocate to spay and neuter dogs before they reached sexual maturity—between six and eight months of age—for behavioral reasons mostly. Not letting your dog’s hormones go wild does have some behavioral benefit ...
How dog trainers view dogs has changed over time and so has our approach to dog training. Dog training used to be very harsh—today, it's much kinder. Some even argued that dogs don't have emotions—these days we know better.
Many dogs we work with have varying degrees of anxiety and in case of certain breeds it quite disturbing to witness. Fear in dogs is the one most common challenges we are contacted for. The reasons for this fear epidemic in dogs are multifold.
- In this episode we discuss housebreaking puppies and custom raw feeding.
- I highly recommend you consider rattlesnake avoidance training for your dog as it can save its life. As you will read below, rattlesnake vaccines have many limits and risks, and don't provide protection like other types of vaccines; they just buy you some additional time.